01 July 2010

For the love of......

Reading!! I love to read. One of the best things to me is being able to find a good story. I love books that make you not want to put them down. Books that make you kind of sad when you've finished them, because you wish the story would keep going. I love a book that can draw you into the story, you are there with the characters experiencing the story.

The best thing about summer vacation is that I have time to read stories and books I want to read. I wanted to share some of my all time favorites and books that I am reading right now.

Okay. If any of you know me by know you know that I have to start this post with my love, The Harry Potter Series (JK Rowling). This is one story that was able to make me live in the book, to experience it. I think it may just be the child in me. I love the way JK Rowling was able to create a whole new world while drawing parrallels to the world we know. Awesome fun stories and I CAN NOT WAIT until Cain is old enough to understand and have me read them to him.

I must admit I have been sucked into the Twilight Series (Stephanie Meyer). I love it. It is a good romance. the books are definietly better than the movies although the movies are pretty good too imo.

Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell) and the sequal Scarlett (Alexandria Ripley) have been two of my favorites since my teen years. I watched GWTW first, and then read the book and I fell in love with it. I like the history in the story along with the romance.

The Late Great Me (Sandra Scoppettone)- this book I read when I was like 14. I forgot about it for a long time and started looking for it again about a year and a half two years ago. I could not remember the title, but remembered key points in the story. I googled it off and on for those 2 years and finally about 4 weeks ago I found it. Bought it on ebay for a total of like 6 buck with the shipping. I was sooo happy!!! This is a tragic story of a teen alcoholic and her journey through it. Good good story. Based in the 70's.

Now I could go off and do this forever but instead of giving descriptions I'll just say that a few more of my favorites are: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas(Hunter Thompson), Drowing Ruth (Chirstina Schwarz), The Lake of Dead Languages (Carol Goodman), Running in Heels (Anna Maxted. I've read a few by her and love them all), Can You Keep a Secret (Sophie Kinsella), Night (Elie Wiesel), Charlie Bone series (Jenny Nimmo), The Womans Murder club series ( James Patterson; although I haven't read any in a long time), Suzannes Diary for Nicholas (James Patterson), The Shining, and Cell (Both Stephen King).
Mr and Mrs. BoJo Jones (Ann Head), Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt), Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) and Lord of the Flies (William Golding). All books from my preteen/ early teen years that I still own today (and read)

Also I Love Mary Higgins Clark books. There are 3 or 4 Danelle Steel books I like as well.

I am going to start reading Wicked this weekend. I started it a while back and it was good, but then school started and I was not able to finish it. Can't wait to read the story of the Wicked Witch. I have a Bill Hicks (my favorite comedian) biography that I want to read that I have had forever. It by Stephen King. those are the three that I have planned for now. I am longing for a trip to Barnes and Noble but you need money for that. Soon though. The smell of new books is calling my name and I will satisfy that craving soon.

So as you can see when it comes to books my choice is eclectic. What are some books that you all like to read? Favorites, good reads etc. I am always looking for more stuff to read so Let me know!!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...gonna have to check out some of the books you mentioned! Right now I'm reading "Push" by Sapphire. I saw the movie "Precious" and I was really intrigued about any backstory. Well, the movie was pretty true to the book. Sadly, it isn't a happy subject (child abuse) but still the story manages to be uplifting. Highly disturbing at times, but this new author shows a grittiness in telling the story she wove from having taught school and dealing with teens. In essence the author is "Miz Rain" the alternative school teacher where Precious goes to school after getting pregnant by her Dad for the 2nd time. A story that is disturbingly raw at times but so well worth the read. I checked the book out at the local library. Nothing makes me feel richer than walking out of there with a stack of "free" books. Now I save my money and only buy the books that I truly want to read over and over again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like some of those you mentioned, and just finished The Help, which was amazing! You know, when I feel at a lack of money, I check the library and even do a book through reserve so they can track it down for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finished "Push" and last night I picked up and read "A child called IT", the story of Dave Pelzer. Another child abuse story but once again in spite of major abuse, a child learns how to be so resilient under the worst of treatment. It does make you want to reach into the book at times to wring someone's neck, but you mostly find yourself focused on rooting for the child. Next on the cue is "Oxygen" by Carol Cassella a medical novel set in Seattle, Alice Walker's "By the Light of my Father's Smile" and "Color Purple" (a book worth a re-read so I just picked up my reserve from the library)

    ReplyDelete